Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Gee, Your Hair Smells Lavender-ific

Lavender Curl Refreshing Spray
Anyone who has known me for any length of time, knows that I have a love/hate thing going on with my curly head of hair. It's true. Sometimes the pendulum swings slowly and sometimes I'll flip from love to hate overnight. Most of the time though, I'm wallowing in an all-out "I-hate-my-hair" pit of despair. Naturally curly hair can do that to a person.

Over the years I'd try almost anything if it promised better hair. It's been my constant quest. My grail. My impossible dream. I've permed it, straightened it, and otherwise tortured it. I've even chopped it all off in frustration. Just about any product that was marketed "for curly hair", I'd buy. Nothing worked.

A few months ago I bought Curly Girl: The Handbook.* It has changed everything. Above and beyond all the stories, the method, the tips and tricks... the big message was this: You are not alone... and it's never too late to learn how to take care of your curls. Bam.


One of the things that delighted the heck out of me with the book was the natural DIY curl-care recipes it contained. The first thing I tried was the "Lavender-It-With-Love Spray". Kind of an all-purpose curl-refreshing mist that's especially good to use for reviving curls on the days between hair cleansing. The recipe in the book uses lavender essential oil, but when I realized how much dried lavender I still had from last summer, I knew I needed to try making it with that.

Curl-Reviving Lavender Spray
adapted from Crunchy Betty and Curly Girl: The Handbook by Lorraine Massey

Cook some up....
  1. Bring slightly more than 4 cups of water to a rolling boil. Turn the heat down, cover the pot, and simmer for a 30-45 minutes.
  2. Remove from heat and add 1 cup dried lavender buds. Stir well. 
  3. Cover the pot and let it cool and steep for 12-24 hours.
  4. Strain the liquid through a coffee filter into a glass jar or bottle
  5. Refrigerate until needed. Will keep for about two to three weeks.
To revive bed-head or ponytail-bump, etc...
  1. Fill a small spray bottle with the lavender infusion. (Take the time to find one that make a nice big mist-y spray instead of one that squirts.)
  2. Flip dry hair upside down and spray the underside. Gently scrunch hair from the ends up toward the scalp.
  3. Flip hair back, shake out, and spray the infusion all over the top side. Gently scrunch again.
  4. Use as often you need; whenever your hair needs a pick-up spritz.
Notes: Be sure not to spray the lavender infusion while wearing a white blouse or shirt... it shouldn't stain permanently, but it will leave temporary "tea spots" if it drips on light colored clothing. This version takes longer to make than the one in the book, and it doesn't keep as long (so don't double it), but it's completely simple to make and it works great too. I use it almost every single day.

    *If you're a curly girl (or guy, or have curly-kids), I would totally recommend that book. It has changed my whole approach to my hair. I still haven't found my exact groove as far as what combination of products, concoctions, and techniques are the best for my head of curls, but my hair is so very much better than it ever was (except for a couple of really good years in my twenties). This is a personal recommendation by the way, I'm not being paid or compensated in any way to say any of it. Curly-people need to help each other out is all.

    Blog Widget by LinkWithin

    25 comments:

    1. I don't have curly hair but I might try this anyway, because I love lavender!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. You know what... I think it'd be really nice for any hair type actually, so go for it! :)

        Delete
    2. this sounds prefect! Ive been trying to find a more natural product to use on my baby girls crazy curls. I have one question though, why do you have to simmer the water for 35-45 min?

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Good question! Tap water is FULL of impurities and boiling it gets rid of them and keeps it from "going bad" sooner. You could avoid the long boil by using distilled water (just bring it to a boil and remove, steep, strain, etc.). I just don't always have distilled water around.

        Your baby girl is lucky to have you... my mama had no idea what to do with with this baby girl's crazy curls! :)

        Delete
    3. And I have some lavender at home sitting in my cupboard!! Doing this tonight..thank you! ;)

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. I love finding new ways to surround myself with lavender! Hope you enjoy the spray!

        Delete
    4. I love this... in fact... I love all of your ideas:) Thank you!

      ReplyDelete
    5. If I were to use essential oil instead of dried lavender, how much would I add?

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Alas, I haven't made it with E/O yet, but a google search for curly girl lavender spray brought up the recipe on lots of forums. If you can get your hands on the book, it's got a bunch of other great DIY hair recipes too.

        Delete
    6. I bought the book Curly Girl, as recommended by a reader on my blog, and it has changed the way I work with my hair. All the things you described in your post (hating your hair, etc.) I have felt all my life until getting this book. Since then, I haven't used a comb, brush, or blow dryer on my hair (about a month and a half). It's not as shiny as I want it to be, but I will keep working to find the right formula.

      I think I'll subscribe to your blog! Thanks for all the great tips!

      Come visit me at:
      http://heritagecreek.blogspot.com/

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Hi (fellow curly-girl) Debbie! Thanks for visiting (and subscribing)... welcome! I am so with you on how that book has changed EVERYTHING having to do with my hair. It's a whole new curly world out there for us isn't it?

        I'm off to go check out your blog now (thanks for inviting me!)
        :)

        Delete
    7. So...I, unfortunately do not have curly hair :(. I do however, have three lucky biracial babies that have the best hair! Will this work as well for them? Does the book also address biracial hair? Their hair is not only very different from mine, but each of them have very different textures. So tricky...I'll try just about anything!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. My version of the Lavender Spray will definitely work for your beautiful babies! And yes, the Curly Girl book does address all their unique hair textures. It will help you to identify which type of curl and texture they have and then give advice and techniques for each one (plus recipes!). It also has a chapter specifically on curly kids curl care!

        *I don't earn commission or anything regarding the book... the recommendation is from my heart (and having been frustrated with my curly hair for most of my life)!

        Delete
    8. I love lavender! I will try this out for sure!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Thanks Kate! I hope you do... and I hope you love it as much as I do! :)

        Delete
    9. Sounds lovely, but do be careful. Lavender should not be used on, or around, people with epilepsy.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Thanks for the heads-up Happy Hippy. I googled "lavender and epilepsy" and found tons of info. One form of lavender does indeed contain seizure-triggering compounds, as does fennel, rosemary, and sage (among others).

        It's always a good idea to research any health conditions we have as well as any medications we take. Forewarned is forearmed! Certain herbs, health conditions, and medications don't play nice together and can be dangerous.

        When in doubt, talk to a trusted medical professional.

        Delete
    10. I also struggled with my curly, wavy, frizzy hair all my life. I have found these amazing products for my hair & it is the best stuff I have ever used. And I actually love my hair now. The problem with these product is that they are extremely expensive. I usually buy the 2 products I use in the large bottle & it costs me over $100! Twice a year = $200! But it does do what it promises to do. Fantastic products. But now I am going to check this book out & see how it works for me. If it does, I get to save $200/yr. I have been going green with all my other products (thanks to you & your wonderful site) except the hair & I now have a way to do that. Love the lavender spray idea. Gonna make it tonight when I get home & give it a spray

      ReplyDelete
    11. Awesome. I too read the curly girl handbook and lamented so much dried lavender in the cupboard instead of essential oil. Thanks for sharing!

      ReplyDelete
    12. Replies
      1. Hi Janie! I always try to have some lavender growing in my yard so I can harvest and dry it myself, but if I don't have enough on hand, I use an online herb supplier such as:

        www.herbco.com (monterey bay spice co.)
        www.mountainroseherbs.com
        www.starwest-botanicals.com
        www.vitacost.com
        www.sfherb.com

        ...hope this helps! :)

        Delete
    13. Hi everyone or anyone, I'm new to this. Have a blessed day.

      ReplyDelete
    14. Very Informative page, I hope it will be useful for all of us. Thanks for sharing it with us.

      ReplyDelete

    Take a moment to say "Howdy!"... I'd love to hear from you!