Saturday, February 27, 2010

Grapefruit-Ginger Tea Bread

Grapefruit-Ginger Tea BreadThe other day Hubs came home with a bag of grapefruits, given to him from the neighbor of a customer. He was warned that they would be... tart. Fortunately I had bookmarked this recipe a while back. For some mysterious reason, I always seem to have crystallized ginger on hand (it seems to keep forever) so there was nothing stopping me but the butter... we were out. Guess what? This beautiful cake/bread doesn't call for any butter at all! How great is that? It's my new favorite recipe, that's how great that is!

Grapefruit-Ginger Tea Bread from VegetarianTimes.com
My Notes: The gifted grapefruits hid the smallest fruits inside the thickest peel. I ended up using the zest from three of them and the fruit from all five. I really liked the flavor of this cake/bread, but it's not for everybody. The grapefruit zest gave it a very "astringent" quality. Don't know of any better word for it. If I make it again with grapefruit, I'll add more ginger to it. In the meantime, this would be simply smashing with orange or maybe even Meyer lemon subbing for the grapefruit. Overall, this was easily made and quickly eaten. The texture was perfectly moist. This will definitely go into my "regular rotation".
Blog Widget by LinkWithin
 

0 COMMENTS:

Post a Comment

Take a moment to say "Howdy!"... I'd love to hear from you!