Monday, February 1, 2010

Sweet Little Sour-Bombs

As if from some alternate reality, the skin of the kumquat is the sweet part and the fruit inside is sour. Really sour. If you've eaten one, you will either love it or hate it. They may look like cute little shrinky-dink oranges, but they pack one heck of a sour-patch punch.

During the course of your life you just might find yourself living near someone with a kumquat tree, or working with someone who has a kumquat tree at home - you'll know it if you do. These people will love you to pieces if you take a bunch of them off their hands; they will thank you profusely and may even want to hug you.

In my experience, the people who have kumquat trees in their yards are generally not the ones who actually planted the tree. The trees are there in the yard when they move in and it's such a great place and "Oh look! It even has a fruit tree of some kind! Won't that be nice? I wonder what it is?". These people are soon desperate to unload the enormous bounty of sour little fruits on anyone who will take them. And then they yank the tree out.

For the life of me, I cannot remember where I found this recipe,* but it sounded kind of good, and I'm curious to try it out. All I need now is a fruit-laden neighbor and a party to serve these at...

Cream Cheese and Ginger-Stuffed Kumquats
  1. Slice one pound of kumquats in half lengthwise and scoop out the flesh.
  2. Trim flesh to remove any tough or woody parts and remove the seeds.
  3. Combine the flesh, 4 ounces of cream cheese and 4-6 slices of crystallized ginger in a food processor until well blended.
  4. Using a pastry bag and medium tip, fill kumquat shells with the cream cheese mixture and refrigerate until ready to serve.
Read more about kumquats here.
*As soon as I find the source, I'll add a link to it.
Blog Widget by LinkWithin
 

0 COMMENTS:

Post a Comment

Take a moment to say "Howdy!"... I'd love to hear from you!