Friday, June 19, 2009

Blue is the color of my true love

If I had the space to grow lots of fruit and veg, I would only grow the ones I love that are the most expensive to buy at the market: raspberries, avocados, blood oranges, cherries, pencil thin asparagus, heirloom tomatoes, Meyer lemons and blueberries.

The last three on that list are what we've got going on in our small space right now. Two tomatoes (planted in the ground), two blueberry shrubs (in a half-barrel) and a new dwarf Meyer lemon (in a big pot). The tomatoes got planted late so we won't see them bear fruit until later in the summer. The Meyer was chosen for its propensity to fruit year-round (!), but it will be many months before we see these first little lemons mature. Which brings me to the blueberries...

Two little shrubs sharing a half wine barrel and cranking out a handful of ripe blueberries every couple of days. I always intend to bake with them or freeze them for later use, but I don't. Why? Because we just eat them as we pick them, or at most, toss them on our yogurt.

On second thought, forget about all the other stuff I mentioned wanting to grow. Just fill my yard with nothing but blueberries and I'll be a happy girl! Yep, nothing but blueberries. Blueberries and lavender. And lemons...
Blog Widget by LinkWithin
 

0 COMMENTS:

Post a Comment

Take a moment to say "Howdy!"... I'd love to hear from you!